Introduction to Healthy Weight Loss
To kick off our nutrition program here at Apple, the blog will be covering some of the fundamentals of healthy weight loss. There is so much information out there about how to lose weight but in our office, we believe that all of our patients should strive for a diet rich in protein, fiber and nutrients, that is low in calories, inflammatory properties, and sugar.
Over the next few weeks we will break down some of the different components of healthy eating and give some recommendations for starting an exercise regimen. Please consult your doctor before making any drastic changes to your diet or exercise routine. Our Nurse Practitioners are trained to help you set up a wellness plan that caters to your body and situation. Please give us a call at 865.524.1234 to set up your consultation today.
All food is made up of a combination of proteins, fiber, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and minerals, and water. Everything can be divided up into one of those categories. We will break down each of these topics and explain how they work in your body but here are some basic fundamentals that we encourage all of our patients to stick to.
1. Stay hydrated. Water makes up 70% of the body and the body cannot perform basic functions without it. Drink at least 64 ounces a day. It will help regulate your organs, flush lactic acid and other toxins from the body, and lubricate your joints.
2. Eat five meals a day. Your body needs fuel to keep you going all day long so it is important to spread your calories out over the day and make sure you have energy going in so you can perform at your best.
3. Make sleep a priority. Try to schedule your sleep so that you are going to bed and waking up at the same time every day. You will feel more rested and alert.
4. Moderation and variety are the keys to success. Your body is made to digest a very wide variety of foods. Try to mix up your normal routine and eat from the whole food pyramid. That way, your body will have access to all of the essential vitamins and nutrients that keep you healthy.
5. Listen to you body. Your body is constantly sending you signals. Be sure to listen when you are hungry or full and adjust your eating habits.
6. Track your food intake. By writing down everything you eat you are making yourself accountable for everything that you put in your body. Your weight loss coach can also use this log to gauge how your weight loss is going.
Good luck on your weight loss journey! Keep following us here to get all the information you need for weight loss success!